Industry News | 02/21
Higher education, student mobility, and student housing industry news from February 2021.
- The future is now: imagining university life post-COVID
- The Netherlands: Students drowning in loneliness, union says in plea to open higher education
- Spain: “Banks seem to be interested in financing micro-living and student housing projects,” said Christopher Hütwohl, managing director, Corestate Capital Advisors.
- Leiden is expected to be the Dutch city with the best investment opportunities, says international real estate advisor Savills
- Amro grows Iberian student housing portfolio with Pamplona acquisition
- Green homes – can the construction & development industry be plastic-free?
- MILESTONE Student Living soon to hit 800 student beds in Poland
- How This Student Housing is Taking the World By Storm – Coliving Code interview with DoveVivo
- Global Real Estate: Beds, Sheds and Meds
- The student accommodation sector in Europe has been resilient during the Covid-19 pandemic, according to a new BONARD report
- Investing in Iberian real estate ‘has become a must’
- New Round Hill Capital and TPG project adds 300 houses to Lisbon’s offer. It foresees the construction of 380 rooms for students.
- Ares enters European student housing market with 183m euro deal
- The Netherlands: Large proportion of international students experience emotional problems
- Dutch university association VSNU: call for more prospects for students and lecturers in the near future
- Torsion reveal innovative sustainability measures for latest PBSA operated by Harrison Street Real Estate Capital LLC
- Europe’s rents dip 2% in six months as vacancy rates rise
- UK: PHE launches Psychological First Aid training for those supporting young people affected by Covid
- Spain: int’l students generate €3.8bn annually
- Value One and Nuveen Real Estate to enter Polish PBSA market
- Greystar acquires five purpose-built student accommodation assets across the UK for £291m
- AXA IM further embeds ESG capabilities across its business
- UK National Student Accommodation Survey 2021 – Results
- Veidekke is building BaseCamp’s first student housing in Sweden [Swedish]
- How is The Student Hotel making their hotels more sustainable?
- Investment volume Dutch student housing up 62% in 2020, occupancy stable
- Student reviews tell the story of 2020… and it’s not as bad as you might think!
- Corestate targets €500m for resi-focused city quarters fund in Germany
- Mixed-use may answer the call for increased flexibility
- Initiative to address student mental ill-health in UK
- Post Pandemic Priorities: Designing for the Future
- Ten key trends that will change the role of real estate in 2021
- Dutch market more resilient in 2020, slower to recover in 2021
- Is Blended Learning Here to Stay?
- VSNU: 8% more students in the Netherlands in 2020-2021 [Dutch]
- ESN: Work-study Balance: Can Students Have It All?
- Ten Countries Named Most Ideal Study Abroad Destinations in the World for 2021
- UK unis look to transition scholarships and discounts to maintain EU numbers
- University acceptances have climbed by more than 5% according to the latest figures, with student accommodation experts cheering the news as a sign of robust growth.
- Scotland and Wales look to continue in Erasmus+
- C&W ponders launch of flexible office service in Germany
- Scotland: £6.75m for HE int’l activity in draft budget
- Digital maturity, the next test for universities after Covid-19
- Sharp increase in students at Dutch universities
- HousingAnywhere raises €24 million in Series C funding and acquires Kamernet
- DTZ Investors Forward Funds 260-Room Battersea Co-living Scheme. The Collective, which is the fund’s property and asset manager, will build and operate the development
- Unite takes £15m hit as it extends student rent discount to March
- Resilience of US student housing market sees GSA acquiring assets spread over 19 cities in 18 states
- UK announces £50 million support fund for students
- Challenges of pandemic drive growth in CUBO membership
- Student Experience expands portfolio with second location in Spain [Dutch]
- Nuveen has €300M to invest in Iberia in 2021. In Portugal, one of Nuveen’s focus is the student residence market, following through with the projects conceived through its joint venture with developer Value One
- Future of work: Osborne Clarke predictions