Industry News | 04/21
Higher education, student mobility, and student housing industry news from April 2021.
If you would like to receive our weekly news update via email, you can subscribe to our newsletter and select "Industry News" as one of your interests.
- Round Hill Capital acquires 703 student bed asset in the Netherlands
- UK: thousands of int’l students had hardship fund applications rejected
- International student surveys by IDP and QS have shown a continuing commitment to face-to-face study, willingness to switch destinations, and attitudes towards quarantine and vaccinations, with the UK appearing to benefit in terms of attractiveness.
- Residential attracting record levels of investment in 2021
- Liverpool leads in PBSA beds race according to new data from StuRents
- Unite Students signs deal to deliver a fifth of its annual electricity from renewable wind power
- Students in Belgium eager to book their accommodations [Belgian]
- Reshaped mental health services to outlast Covid-19
- Student Roost offers glimpse inside York House – its latest PBSA in Nottingham
- German universities optimistic about internationalisation even during COVID
- European student housing sector confident according to recent market update event by the Class Foundation.
- Fresh has topped the table for new purpose-built student accommodation (PBSA) beds secured in 2020.
- SmartRent To Go Public in $2.2 Billion Merger with Fifth Wall Acquisition Corp. I, Accelerating Growth of Category-Leading Smart Home Technology for the Global Real Estate Industry
- There will be a growing demand for lower-cost PBSA, but not lower spec, predicts Unipol CEO
- The Rise of Branded Residences: Not Just Luxury
- Q&A: Charlie MacGregor, The Student Hotel
- ‘Walking money bags that nobody cares about’ – international students in the Netherlands during lockdown
- Back to campus at last - Dutch universities reopen their doors to students
- Speaking at a Western Europe market update, organised by The Class Foundation, student accommodation providers and experts suggested that providers in countries such as The Netherlands and Belgium can expect an increase in occupancy from EU students
- Hines fires the starting gun on regeneration of MilanoSesto including 700-bed student accommodation
- Catella European Student Housing Fund II invests €45 mln in Copenhagen
- UK student accommodation operator Global Student Accommodation Group (GSA) has been chosen to manage the new Melbourn Point property in Cork close to the Munster Technological University (MTU)
- Xior Student Housing publishes its Annual Financial Report 2020
- The Student Hotel bets on Italy and buys a new asset in Rome
- A new way of living - will Nottingham be the first true 15-minute city?
- Covid learning gap estimated to cost the UK over £1.4 trillion according to research by student accommodation platform - UniHomes
- Should You Be Renting Property Furnished or Unfurnished?
- How individual buildings support collaboration within an urban environment
- The Student Hotel publishes its Impact report 2019-2020
- BONARD Blog Series #2: Student Housing Pipeline
- Student dormitories in Austria: waiting for the return of life [German]
- England unis reopen May 17th at earliest, overseas students can enter
- Interview with Karlín Group CEO, Serge Borenstein [Czech]
- To UK or not to UK: What is the effect of Brexit on European students?
- UK unis consider future of EU student recruitment at UKKi’s international higher education forum
- DFI pan-European value-add fund invests in UK student housing
- What about the 20 million students that didn’t study abroad last year?
- How 2020 changed student interest and brought new challenges for European Universities
- DoveVivo is committed to expansion in Spain with its first 'coliving' in the heart of Madrid [Spanish]
- Investec provides facilities for CA Ventures & Harrison Street JV to fund the development of four PBSA schemes in the UK
- London’s largest purpose-built rental community – Greenford Quay in the London Borough of Ealing - is ready to be unveiled by leading developer Greystar
- CRM students will be managing Lone Star’s recently acquired portfolio of 2,621 PBSA beds in the UK
- Unite Students – has announced it has sold a portfolio of eight PBSA properties to Aventicum Real Estate – for £133m
- In the Czech Republic, coliving is still in its infancy, but that is why it represents an attractive opportunity for potential investors [Czech]
- ULI/PwC Global Outlook: the twin challenges of real estate
- AXA IM Alts raises €800 million for new resi and office strategy
- Student accommodation still University owned in Prague according to latest report by Savills
- Q&A: JLL director on rush for student beds
- Industry sees need for unprecedented collective action to decarbonise built environment according to ULI and PwC Emerging Trends in Real Estate report
- Urban Campus raises €7m from Nexity and Batipart to accelerate its development in Europe
- Why don't we live together? Alternative housing in a hot real estate market
- Scape eyes post-Covid growth. Despite the pandemic, the JV is forging ahead with its PBSA and PRS plans.
- Students down 80 per cent in Malta in 2020, cautious hopes for summer
- Stoneshield Capital purchased a student residence in Seville. The operation was advised by CBRE and will be operated by MiCampus Living
- International Campus (IC) has acquired a recently completed student housing development project in Munich from Signa Real Estate
- QS report reveals that half of international students think that universities should “require students to have had the vaccine before the student can travel to the country of their chosen institution”
- HousingAnywhere International Rent Index by City, April 2021
- Student Housing in CEE: great rewards for selective investors
- REALX.Global: Proptech is a good investment, not a cost
- Quares Student Housing buys “Octopus” in Ghent - a newly daily student residence with 118 rooms [Dutch]
- Sabine Georgi Appointed as ULI Germany/Austria/Switzerland Executive Director
- US investor Lone Star enters the UK PBSA market with the acquisition of a 2,621-bed portfolio from Fusion Students
- Disruptive tech players consider future of international recruitment during The PIE’s recent TNE and Tech event
- Almost two-thirds of university students in the UK say their mental health is worse because of the Covid pandemic, a HEPI survey suggests
- Unexploited PBSA potential makes Poland CEE’s Germany
- ESG compliance pays: certified buildings perform better
- Study Group links with WeWork and Airbnb in China to provide students with an alternative learning experience tailored to their needs whilst keeping in mind current restrictions
- Viewpoint: Why the UK should embrace mixed-tenure housing
- Catella Infographic: Decarbonisation & Green Finance
- Transforming a commercial interior in 2021: refreshing colours, sustainability, and customer experience. A case study of Nido Student’s West Hampstead property